New Jersey man found guilty of killing brother and his family, then
lighting fires to cover it up
[February 14, 2026]
By BRUCE SHIPKOWSKI
A New Jersey man was convicted Friday of killing four relatives in what
prosecutors said was a murder and arson plot spawned by a soured
business relationship between the man and his younger brother.
Paul Caneiro, 59, was found guilty on four counts of murder, two counts
of aggravated arson, and two weapons counts in the 2018 killing of his
brother, Keith Caneiro, 50; Keith’s wife, Jennifer, 45, and their two
young children. A Monmouth County jury handed down the verdict after
deliberating Friday for about five hours.
Caneiro now faces a potential life term when he's sentenced May 12.
Monmouth County prosecutors said during the two-month trial that Caneiro
killed the relatives because his brother had discovered he was stealing
money from their businesses and from him personally. He then set their
mansion on fire — and also his own home in an attempt to cover it up,
authorities said.
Caneiro’s attorney had told jurors he did not murder anyone, saying the
brothers — who owned a computer systems company and a pest control
business — “deeply loved each other and were best friends” and that his
client would not harm his nephew and niece who he “cherished and
adored."

Emergency crews had responded to fires reported at both brothers' homes
on Nov. 20, 2018.
Paul Caneiro’s wife and children escaped safely from their home in Ocean
Township.
But Keith Caneiro was found dead outside his burning Colts Neck mansion,
shot numerous times. His wife and kids were found inside — Jennifer
Caneiro had been stabbed and shot, while 11-year-old Jesse and
8-year-old Sophia were both stabbed.
Prosecutors told jurors that Paul Caneiro had sneaked up on his
brother's family while they slept in the middle of the night, then set
both fires to make it appear the entire family was being targeted, the
Asbury Park Press and NJ.com reported.
[to top of second column]
|

In this Nov. 21, 2018 file photo, authorities gather in Colts Neck,
N.J., to investigate the aftermath of fatal fire. (AP Photo/Noah K.
Murray, File)

Monika Mastellone, Caneiro's attorney, told jurors that authorities
developed tunnel vision around her client and "did not investigate
any other suspects, even obvious ones.” She noted that authorities
didn’t investigate a third Caneiro brother or take a sample of his
DNA, even though he would have benefited financially from Keith
Caneiro’s death as well.
The third Caneiro brother has denied any involvement in the deaths,
and prosecutors noted in their closing that Paul Caneiro was the
only one Keith Caneiro called the day before he and his family were
killed, demanding information about his life insurance trust
account.
During her closing argument, Mastellone also floated the idea that
two people reportedly seen at Keith Caneiro’s home shortly before
police and emergency responders arrived may have been involved.
Prosecutors dismissed that suggestion, saying the two men were first
responders and that neighbors were wrong about the time they were
spotted at the residence.
Paul Caneiro's trial had been delayed several times, first by the
coronavirus pandemic and then by legal wrangling in recent years
over what evidence could be presented in court, including arguments
before the state Supreme Court.
All contents © copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved
 |