Trade envoy Ryosei Akazawa was scheduled to leave Tokyo for
Washington on Thursday for a 10th round of talks, following up
on the agreement announced on July 22.
But Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi told reporters
some details required further consultations, so the trip was
postponed.
In July, the two sides agreed on a 15% tax on imports of most
Japanese goods, effective Aug. 1, down from an earlier 25% rate
announced by President Donald Trump as so-called “reciprocal
tariffs” on the major U.S. ally. Japanese officials discovered
days later that the preliminary deal would add a 15% tariff to
other tariffs and objected. Officials in Washington have
acknowledged the mistake and agreed to abide by the agreement on
a 15% tariff, and to refund any excess import duties that were
paid.
So far, that hasn't happened.
“We will strongly request the United States to amend its
presidential order to correct the reciprocal tariffs and to
issue the presidential order to lower tariffs on autos and auto
parts,” Hayashi said.
In an interview with Fox News earlier this week, U.S. Commerce
Secretary Howard Lutnick said Washington was ready to finalize
the deal, in which Japan also pledged to invest up to $550
billion in the United States in coming years.
Plans for Akazawa to visit Washington are undecided, Hayashi
said during a daily briefing, with another nudge at the Trump
administration.
“Japan and the United States have confirmed the importance of
sincere and prompt implementation of the agreement between the
two countries,” he said, adding that a deal was essential for
the economic security of both countries.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved

|
|